The Faculty of Language Studies (FLS) was established in 2002, at the very start of AOU. At present, it offers a BA Programme (Hons) in English Language and Literature in all eight AOU branches. The programme is based on courses derived from the Open University-UK with the use of textbooks, support materials, and approaches of the highest international standards. Demand on the prestigious programme is growing, since it is relevant not only to students’ intellectual and knowledge growth, but also to their career needs.
The Objectives of the Ell Programme
This programme will:
- Provide students with high quality instruction and training in English Language and Literature.
- Develop students’ creative and critical thinking as well as appropriate writing and speaking skills.
- Prepare students for postgraduate study.
- Prepare and qualify students for employment.
- Develop in the students a range of transferable skills including literacy and communication skills.
To be admitted in any Bachelor’s Programme, the student should fulfill the following conditions:
1. Obtain a general secondary school certificate or equivalent, which must be approved by the Ministry of Education in Bahrain.
2. Obtain a good secondary school cumulative GPA.
3. Students should be fluent in the English Language and should show evidence by providing the results of internationally accredited tests of English Language, if available. The minimum required scores are as follows:
a) TOFEL: Paper based 550
b) Computer based 213
c) Internet based 79
d) IELTS: 6.5
Note that the scores for these tests are expired in 2 years. Expired scores cannot be accepted.
If the student does not show evidence of any of the above mentioned test scores, he/she will have to take the English placement test provided by AOU and must get a good score to be admitted in the chosen programme. Otherwise, they will have to take the English Orientation course to improve their language before entering the programme.
The files of all admitted students shall be approved by the Higher Education Council; and accordingly the students shall be provided with a HEC ID number once approved.
Students shall be awarded with Bachelor degree in completion of 132 credit hours successfully in the following manner:
Students shall score a GPA of at least 2.00 out of 4.00.
Students can complete graduation requirements in 4 years in case of passing 32 credit hours in each academic year.
ELL Potential Careers:
The ELL Programme will qualify candidates who complete the Bachelor degree in English Language and Literature to join the workforce in different fields including: Teaching, Journalism, Media, Business, Translation, and other fields. Moreover, the Programme will enable graduates to pursue post-graduate studies in related fields.
The Programme will provide students with labor market skills in addition to communication skills, linguistic, critical, analytical, intellectual, aesthetic, and cultural skills, which will empower the graduates in both the workplace and society at large.